[nsd-users] how to config one nsd zone as both master & slave using two interfaces -- one IPv4 & one IPv6?

Dave Knight dave at knig.ht
Sat Dec 4 15:55:53 UTC 2010

On 2010-12-03, at 7:37 PM, pgngw+dev001+nsd-users at f-m.fm wrote:

> i've built
>
> 	NSD version 3.2.7, r3084
>
> from src on linux.

So you have NSD running a server, let's call that nsd.example.net

> my test zone is config'd to slave IXFR from an offsite primary @
> SERVER_A.

and it is slaving a zone, let's call that test.example.org, from a server, let's call that nsa.example.net

> the same zone is also config'd to serve as master to nameserver @
> SERVER_B.

and there's another server, let's call that nsb.example.net and it is slaving test.example.org from nsb.example.net

> in an all IPv4 scenario, where the single zone's one
> "outgoing-interface:" specification (in IPv4) serves to BOTH request
> IXFR and send NOTIFY, all's well.

this currently works

nsa --NOTIFY/XFR(v4)--> ns --> --NOTIFY/XFR(v4)--> nsb

> i'd like to switch to IXFR from my offsite primary over IPv6 to
> SERVER_A, but keep NOTIFY to SERVER_B over the IPv4 address.
>
> But, iiuc, "outgoing-interface:" can't handle two different addresses,
> and a single zone can't have two outgoing-interface specs.

You probably don't need to use the outgoing-interface directive at all.

> how can I split the single zone's master & slave communications across
> two IP protocols & interfaces?
>
> do I have to set up 2 zones for this?

No.

As I understand it you want this to work:

nsa --NOTIFY/XFR(v4)--> nsd --NOTIFY/XFR(v6)--> nsb

the configuration of those servers could look something like this:

nsa:
    server:
        ip-address: 192.0.2.1

    zone: