[nsd-users] CNAME from another zone

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Mar 11 08:07:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 08:39:40PM +0200,
 Mohammad H. Al Shami <mshami at tagorg.com> wrote
 a message of 122 lines which said:

> A zone file like the one below won't work.

Yes, same error, "CNAME with other data".

> @       IN      SOA     ns1.tagidomains.com.    mail.tagidomains.com. (
>         2008081100      ;       Serial YYYYMMDDnn
>         16384     ;       Refresh
>         2048       ;       Retry
>         1048576      ;       Expire
>         2560)    ;       Minimum
>
>         3600    IN CNAME        tagorg.com.

@ (the current domain name) has both a SOA and a
CNAME. Illegal. Either it is an alias (it is the left-hand-side of a
CNAME) or it is a real domain with its own data.

> It is really annoying to have to edit all of those when we relocate
> our sites

It has always been illegal. You should have checked your configuration
before.

http://www.zonecheck.fr/