[nsd-users] CNAME from another zone

Mohammad H. Al Shami mshami at tagorg.com
Tue Mar 10 18:39:40 UTC 2009

Thanks Niall,

The file I sent was the zone with the A record for lists.tagorg.com replaced with a CNAME record. I admit I overlooked that when I did the testing. But I'm also facing this issue in a different place, which basically got me to email the list. We have about 40 domains pointing to the same web server as tagorg.com. A zone file like the one below won't work.

$TTL    86400
@       IN      SOA     ns1.tagidomains.com.    mail.tagidomains.com. (
        2008081100      ;       Serial YYYYMMDDnn
        16384     ;       Refresh
        2048       ;       Retry
        1048576      ;       Expire
        2560)    ;       Minimum

        3600    IN CNAME        tagorg.com.

It is really annoying to have to edit all of those when we relocate our sites (which surprisingly, happened very recently when we changed our ISP)

If I use "www   3600  IN CNAME   tagorg.com." it works properly.

Thanks again