[nsd-users] Records below delegation point

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Mar 10 08:55:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 06:19:07PM +0100,
 Anand Buddhdev <anandb at ripe.net> wrote
 a message of 38 lines which said:

> My understanding is that an authoritative name server should not
> know about records below a delegation point, so BIND's behaviour
> seems okay.

Indeed. IMHO, it is a bug in NSD. It should not have loaded the zone
or at least ignored the below-the-cut records.

> Is there a standard which defines what an authoritative server
> should do with a zone like this?

RFC 1034 has a lot of sentences like (section 4.2.1):

The authoritative data for a zone is simply all of the RRs attached to
all of the nodes from the top node of the zone down to leaf nodes or
nodes above cuts around the bottom edge of the zone.