missing query-source/transfer-source in nsd

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu Oct 13 03:52:04 UTC 2005

Hi,

We are in the process of switching our master nameserver from bind to nsd.
Therefor we are running both bind and nsd on the same machine, each on their
own IP address. We need bind because the old IP is used for recursing.

In named.conf, I have:

         query-source address 193.110.157.130 port 53;
         transfer-source 193.110.157.130;

My nsd init script adds "-a 193.110.157.135" to the nsd daemon startup
options.

The problem I am seeing now is that nsd is not using 193.110.157.135 for
sending notifies to its secondaries. Instead, it takes the default ('first')
IP address, which happens to be 193.110.157.130.

Are there any plans to add such a feature to nsd? Especially people who want
to migrate from bind to nsd are likely to run both of them on the same server
for a while (or even permanently if they need bind to recurse).

As a workaround, I've added both IP's as masters in the secondaries' named.conf.

Paul
--

"Happiness is never grand"

 	--- Mustapha Mond, World Controller (Brave New World)