Incremental Updates

Erik Rozendaal erik at NLnetLabs.nl
Fri Aug 26 19:27:44 UTC 2005

Timothy Der wrote:

> Thanks, I'm trying to get the actual numbers now.  In your opinion is it
> doable to add incremental update functionality without being too
> intrusive on the existing code base? (I'm guessing modification to zonec
> would be the only changes).  Can new records be simply appended to the
> DB or would insertion have to be done?  I'm still kind of fuzzy on the
> DB file setup.

The database format really isn't designed for incremental changes.  The
multiple database approach I outlined in the e-mail to Peter Friend is
probably easier.

Another approach might be to have zonec load an existing database, then
parse the updated zone from the zone file and write a completely new DB
file.

Erik