Incremental Updates

Timothy Der derti at corp.earthlink.net
Fri Aug 26 19:20:18 UTC 2005

Erik Rozendaal wrote:

> Timothy Der wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the quick reply,  It takes just over an hour to rebuild
>> the db.  So you figure that the shortest possible compile time (with
>> incremental updates) would be at least 2.5 times the load time?
>> Thanks for your help
>

> Well, if zonec takes an hour to generate the database, then it would
> take NSD about 25 minutes to load the database into memory (assuming
> the factor of 2.5 is correct).
>
> If NSD loads much quicker there may be some other bottleneck in zonec.
>
> Erik

Thanks, I'm trying to get the actual numbers now.  In your opinion is it
doable to add incremental update functionality without being too
intrusive on the existing code base? (I'm guessing modification to zonec
would be the only changes).  Can new records be simply appended to the
DB or would insertion have to be done?  I'm still kind of fuzzy on the
DB file setup.

Tim