ANNOUNCEMENT: NSD 1.3.0 alpha 1
erik at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Sep 17 10:26:01 UTC 2003
This release is an alpha release. There are some major changes in the name
resolution algorithm, there is a new version of the zone compiler (not
finished yet), and there are some internal changes. See the release notes
below for more information.
If you decide to try this release we would appreciate it if you try to
compiler your zones with both the old (zonec) and new (zonec2) compilers.
They should produce exactly the same database file, except in cases where
one of the compilers does not support certain RRs or character escapes. If
they do not produce the same files we'd like to hear about it.
Please read the README document for configuration and installation
You can download NSD from http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/nsd/
- New name lookup algorithm. This required a change to the
database format. Performance should increase at the expense
of database size and memory usage.
- New zone compiler (zonec2) based on flex and yacc, fully RFC
compliant (still in alpha).
- Database can be loaded using mmap(2) (use the --enable-mmap
configure option to enable). This is useful on operating
systems such as Solaris that do not allow memory overcommit.
- Region based memory allocation and resource management.
- New internal format for storing domain names. Each dname
now includes an array of label offsets within the domain
- Updates to the plugin API.
- Bug #65: The syslog facility is now a compile time option
(--with-facility=FACILITY). The default facility is DAEMON.
- Bug #66: Automatic periodic dumping of the statistics (using
the -s option) is now continued after a database reload.
More information about the nsd-users