[net-dns-users] Release candidate for Net::DNS 1.06

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Apr 19 19:14:04 UTC 2016

On 04/19/2016 12:51 AM, Willem Toorop wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> I just want to add that I'm sorry to hear upgraded Net::DNS is causing
> you trouble.

Let's be clear. "Upgraded Net::DNS" didn't just happen, the lack of
backwards compatibility is a direct result of decisions which you(pl)
have made in regards to changing the format of the data as it's output
to the caller.

That's not Ok.

I cannot emphasize this point strongly enough. Net::DNS is very old
code. It has a huge installed base, with millions of scripts written
against it.

The very concept of changing the data presentation format of data based
on parameters not under the control of the caller (in this case line
length) is horrifically bad design to start with. But even assuming that
a rational argument could be made for doing that in new code, there are
no circumstances where a change of this nature is Ok in a well
established library.

I don't care what your justification is, I don't care how well
established the new format is, I don't care. This isn't something that
you do, ever.

Now if you think your new presentation format is awesome, or valuable,
or whatever, that's fine .... create a NEW method for the NEW format,
and let people vote with their feet. I'm all for innovation, and if you
did that my only feedback would be that in over 20 years as a DNS admin
and many tens of thousands of zones files reviewed I've never seen
someone line wrap an A or AAAA record. But I don't care, because I'm not
going to use that new method.

The string method however needs to be left alone ... it should return
its data on one line, with no parens, just like it always has.

> However, it would be wise to process zone files with
> Net::DNS::ZoneFile

That's great advice, except that I'm not processing zone files.

> Having that said, we could consider influencing the parameters for
> presentation format (like for # columns) as a feature request.  It
> requires thinking about how to do this best architecturally though, and
> will not make the 1.06 release.

I am not asking for a new feature. I'm asking you to remove (or
relocate) the incredibly wrong-headed new feature that you already added
due to it causing significant regression in the established code base
(and being a painfully bad idea in the first place).

Doug