[net-dns-users] Release candidate for Net::DNS 1.06

Dick Franks rwfranks at acm.org
Tue Apr 19 15:44:12 UTC 2016

On 19 April 2016 at 08:51, Willem Toorop <willem at nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> I just want to add that I'm sorry to hear upgraded Net::DNS is causing
> you trouble.  However, it would be wise to process zone files with
> Net::DNS::ZoneFile even if all resource records would have been on a
> single line, because it also anticipates comments and $INCLUDE, $ORIGIN,
> $TTL and even the non-standard $GENERATE directive.  Parsing zone files
> with Net::DNS::ZoneFile will make your scripts more generic (as it can
> read presentation format from other software as well).
>
> Having that said, we could consider influencing the parameters for
> presentation format (like for # columns) as a feature request.  It
> requires thinking about how to do this best architecturally though, and
> will not make the 1.06 release.

I will be happy to fix contraventions of RFC1035, if there are any.

There is no architectural issue with increasing the line length parameter,
but line folding is still going to happen with long RRs.  Folds only occur
between RDATA elements, which in practical terms means that short elements
are grouped on a line and long elements occupy a whole line.  The end
result is remarkably insensitive to the line length parameter except in
those rare cases where there is a long sequence of short elements.