[net-dns-users] Release candidate for Net::DNS 1.06

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Apr 19 06:42:42 UTC 2016

April 18 2016 10:39 PM, "Doug Barton" <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:

> I can certainly see how this is suboptimal, and the new format is better, but the problem is that
> it has a newline embedded:
>
> aaa. 86400 in ds ( 21707 8 1
> 6d92dd0d0db0e392fa9d5f08ea15bbd297b8cbe2 )
>
> Can we get this in one line? It makes it a whole lot easier to process. (FWIW, the print method has
> the same issue)
>
> And in the future can we avoid newlines in the data?

So it's actually worse than I thought. :(  The wrapping and adding of parens seems to be a function of line length, not record type. There are DS records in the root zone that don't trigger the wrapping, and there are AAAA records in the root zone that do:

d.xn--node.globalanycastcloud.freenom.net.	172800	IN	AAAA	(
	2a04:1b00:b::4 )

dns1.u-registry.com.	172800	IN	AAAA	(
	2604:4300:a:8c:5054:ff:fe47:8582 )

Can we please remove this ill-advised change altogether? When processing these records it magnifies my code complexity significantly if I have to test every record for the presence of newlines, join them if they are present, extract patterns with and without parens, etc. I can absorb the development cost of testing for two different  DS record formats because the new format is a legitimate improvement. But having to deal with the multiline/paren issue appearing at random for certain (all?) record types is not Ok.

Doug