[net-dns-users] Release candidate for Net::DNS 1.06

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Apr 19 05:38:48 UTC 2016

This is better in some ways, and worse in others. :)

The errorstring is being filled again for search/query/send, which is great. :)  However the errorstring for AXFR is now empty (not undefined, there is actually a string there, but it seems to be one, or maybe two spaces. This is a regression against both 1.05 and versions previous to the errorstring nuking (1.04?).  The demo script I sent to the list previously can demonstrate the problem. Also the output from that script that I sent along with it shows the previous output for errorstring after AXFR for both 1.05 and 0.81.

Today I also identified another problem with the way that DS records are printed that was also present in 1.05 release. In previous versions (for example 0.81 that I'm using on Ubuntu) The DS records were formatted like this when they were printed out using $rr->string:

aaa.	86400	in	ds	\# 24 54cb08016d92dd0d0db0e392fa9d5f08ea15bbd297b8cbe2X

I can certainly see how this is suboptimal, and the new format is better, but the problem is that it has a newline embedded:

aaa.        86400   in      ds      ( 21707 8 1
        6d92dd0d0db0e392fa9d5f08ea15bbd297b8cbe2 )

Can we get this in one line? It makes it a whole lot easier to process. (FWIW, the print method has the same issue)

And in the future can we avoid newlines in the data?

Doug