[net-dns-users] With 1.05 on OS X I'm not seeing errorstring on queries

Dick Franks rwfranks at acm.org
Tue Apr 12 18:09:54 UTC 2016

Dealing with each case as a separate issue.

First, modify your AXFR example so we know for certain that it works:

  use Net::DNS;

  print "Perl Version: $^V\n";
  print "Net::DNS Version: ", Net::DNS->version, "\n";

  print "\nTesting AXFR\n";
  my $axfr_res = Net::DNS::Resolver->new or die "Instantiation failed: $!";
  $axfr_res->nameservers("192.5.5.241");
  my @rr_list = $axfr_res->axfr('.') or die "AXFR failed: $!";

  print scalar(@rr_list), " RRs in zone\n";
  print "errorstring: ", $axfr_res->errorstring, "\n";
  exit;

Armed with the result we should be able to answer three questions:

  Perl Version: v5.22.1
  Net::DNS Version: 1.05

  Testing AXFR
  17636 RRs in zone
  errorstring: RCODE from server: NOERROR

1) Was there an error?

Clearly not.

2) Is $res->errorstring defined?

Yes

3) Did it ever contain just "NOERROR"?

To answer that we need to look back into history.

  Perl Version: v5.22.1
  Net::DNS Version: 0.25    (Aug 2002)

  Testing AXFR
  17636 RRs in zone
  errorstring: no zone transfer in progress

  Perl Version: v5.22.1
  Net::DNS Version: 0.43    (Dec 2003)

  Testing AXFR
  17636 RRs in zone
  errorstring: unknown error or no error

  Perl Version: v5.22.1
  Net::DNS Version: 1.03    (Nov 2015)

  Testing AXFR
  17636 RRs in zone
  errorstring: unknown error or no error

The default text indicates that no attempt was made to put anything in
errorstring before version 1.04.

The answer seems to be "No"

As there was no error, I may consider reversing my decision at 1.04 and to
leave errorstring empty.

Dick Franks