[net-dns-users] API regressions and coming shortened release cycle (was: Re: AXFR)

Dick Franks rwfranks at acm.org
Wed Jun 4 15:02:34 UTC 2014

On 4 June 2014 13:49, Willem Toorop <willem at nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:
[snip]

> PS.  Any objections to not return a socket with axfr_start anymore?  The
> warning was in the documentation and the socket wasn't really suitable
> for async processing, because ...

It is now impossible to return a socket from axfr_start(), the returned
Boolean value indicates if the underlying iterator object was successfully
created.
The iterator object is destroyed automatically when the final RR is read.

The implementation now looks something like this:

sub axfr_start {                        ## historical
        my $self = shift;
        my $iter = $self->{axfr_iter} = $self->axfr(@_);
        return defined $iter;
}

sub axfr_next {                         ## historical
        my $self = shift;
        my $iter = $self->{axfr_iter} || return undef;
        $iter->() || return $self->{axfr_iter} = undef;
}

Willem deserves the lion's share of the credit for this brainwave.