[net-dns-users] AXFR (was: Re: sep() and is_sep())

Chris Buxton clists at buxtonfamily.us
Tue Jun 3 18:49:44 UTC 2014

On Jun 3, 2014, at 11:10 AM, Dick Franks <rwfranks at acm.org> wrote:

> Unfortunately, we are in the tricky position where either  a) we go back, and are unable to do TSIG zone transfers,

I'm curious, what was wrong with the implementation in 0.72? I've had to freeze my installations at that version, because later versions break my scripts. (Which is frustrating.) My scripts make heavy use of TSIG-signed zone transfers. Were the signatures not being validated before?

On Jun 3, 2014, at 7:13 AM, Calle Dybedahi <calle at init.se> wrote:

> What I wish right now is that the same dedication to backwards compatibility that is shown towards supporting ancient versions of Perl would be shown towards the API of Net::DNS itself.

I agree. I couldn't care less about Perl 5.8. But breaking my script by releasing a new version of Net::DNS is a big problem for me.

When you find a subroutine not working as intended, try to fix it without breaking the observed/documented behavior in other ways. Sometimes this is non-trivial to do, but it's important. If it cannot be done, don't fix the existing subroutine — introduce a new method, deprecate the old method, and document the whole thing.

We saw this before when the format used for printing SOA records was changed. I have to hack in a replacement subroutine for Net::DNS::RR::SOA::format_rdata that reinstates the old behavior.

Regards,
Chris Buxton