[net-dns-users] section RR counts read only

John Kristoff jtk at cymru.com
Thu Dec 20 14:21:25 UTC 2012

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:19:16 +0000
Dick Franks <rwfranks at acm.org> wrote:

> I am making the assumption that end users want what Net::DNS claims to
> provide:  Perl interface to the Domain Name System.

I am an end user and I would actually prefer to have just what I
originally and Calle most eloquently described.

> The internal components like Header.pm exist to facilitate that
> primary mission. Injecting corrupt packets into the global DNS is a
> violation of the relevant standards; the design should, where
> possible, minimise that risk.

I fail to see how this facilitates any attempt to corrupt the system.
A low level interface, even an undocumented one if you insist, that
enables the developer to test and observe otherwise unexpected behavior
hardly seems to be much of a risk here, but rather quite handy.

Thanks for listening,

John