[ldns-users] new to ldns

Ray Bellis Ray.Bellis at nominet.org.uk
Thu Oct 31 08:38:13 UTC 2013

On 21 Aug 2013, at 11:29, Willem Toorop <willem at NLnetLabs.nl<mailto:willem at NLnetLabs.nl>> wrote:

Hi Gagandeep,

Ondřej is right, it would be helpful if you tell a bit more about the
kind of name server you wish to create.

That said, ldns might be appropriate for small and simple nameservers
that do something peculiar (and are not for production purposes). Within
the examples section of the ldns source code is a simple fake nameserver
tool for testing and debugging: ldns-testns. We use it in unbounds unit
tests and also in experimental setups (for example in our Path MTU
black-holes research). You could study its source to get you started.

With apologies for resurrecting an old thread, you can find the "evldns" package I wrote for creating small bespoke  DNS servers that uses ldns and libevent at <https://code.google.com/p/evldns/>.

It's good for servers where you can compute a response synchronously in real-time.  Hence no good (yet) for recursive servers, but you can already do some pretty funky stuff with it.

Ray