[ldns-users] Build On Windows

Miek Gieben miekg at atoom.net
Wed Jan 11 09:12:09 UTC 2006

[On 10 Jan, @22:20, T kyer wrote in "[ldns-users] Build On Windows ..."]
> As a side note I will continue to periodically check
> whether the email posting "black hole" has transformed into
> a wormhole that delivers my email postings to the

It looks like everything is in working order. Sadly I don't
know exactly why your mails weren't coming through.

> correct me if I'm wrong that it would be best to split the
> source into two separate packages.

We would like it very much for ldns to work natively
on Windows. But note that I  have very limited knowledge
of the windows api.

> The very first thing to try compiling would be DRILL in
> order to first port this software to windows successfully.

I think this is a good way to start, but I don't follow you all the
way through. You want to build drill as a library?  Let me try to
write down the ldns lib. structure:

We have ldns - which is of course the library. This is pure C with
little dependencies, except libc. The only problem will be the
networking/socket interface in net.c

On top of ldns we have built drill. Drill is also very simple,
so drill should compile on windows, but it will then fail to
link because the ldns library isn't yet ported.

Having said that, any compilation problems you will find in
drill should/may also apply to ldns.

> I will try to build a static library in the form of
> libDRILL.a that is compatible with the gcc compiler. After
> it has been successfully compiled the static library then
> can be linked to build the remaining source code. I will
> need your support if this is to be a successful endeavour.
>
> Following please find the compile log for the static
> library build of DRILL:
>

> WITH MAKEFILE
>
> Compiler: Default compiler
> Executing  make...
> make.exe -f "Makefile.in" all
> process_begin: CreateProcess((null), CC@ @CFLAGS@ @LDFLAGS@
> -o drill drill.o drill_util.o error.o root.o work.o
> chasetrace.o dnssec.o @LIBS@, ...) failed.
> make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
> make.exe: *** [drill] Error 2 Execution terminated

I can only guess here that it cannot find the ldns library?  Looking
at the output, I see that the .o object files are created. This would
mean that the compilation of drill has succeeded.

> WITHOUT MAKEFILE
>
> Compiler: Default compiler
> Building Makefile: "F:\New Folder (6)\Makefile.win"
> Executing  make...
> make.exe -f "F:\New Folder (6)\Makefile.win" all
> ar r Project1.a work.o dnssec.o drill.o drill_util.o
> error.o root.o chasetrace.o  ar: creating Project1.a ranlib
> Project1.a Execution terminated

I don't know what make.exe does under windows without a Makefile...

What happens if you do this with ldns?

--
grtz,
  - Miek

 http://www.miek.nl                          http://www.nlnetlabs.nl
 key fingerprint: 6A3C F450 6D4E 7C6B C23C  F982 258B 85CF 3880 D0F6