[ldns-users] Build On Windows

T kyer xdtrq at ananzi.co.za
Tue Jan 10 21:20:30 UTC 2006

Hi again

I applaud your efforts to promote open source software.
Unfortunately much as I dislike proprietary software I'm
stuck with windows for the present. This may change in the
future. Although I'm trying to use as much open source
software within the Windows environment as possible as
evidenced by the use of Dev-cpp instead of MSVC++, the fact
is I have personally found open/free source code to be a
disadvantage within the C language windows environment as
much of it is compiled with the proprietary libraries
within MSVC making it almost impossible to use with open
source compilers such as gcc without investing great effort
and time. Even so I am committed to open source. It is the
way of the future and will leave the dinosaurs soon behind.

As a side note I will continue to periodically check
whether the email posting "black hole" has transformed into
a wormhole that delivers my email postings to the
appropriate address. Please inform me from your end if you
have found the solution to the problem. It's too bad as
this discussion is not being posted to the archives for the
benefit of other ldns users.

Sorry to have taken so long in answering back, but I was
considering your last email. I had to look at the source
code for ldns, and ponder as to the best way to proceed to
compile the source. I came to the conclusion and please
correct me if I'm wrong that it would be best to split the
source into two separate packages.

The very first thing to try compiling would be DRILL in
order to first port this software to windows successfully.
I will try to build a static library in the form of
libDRILL.a that is compatible with the gcc compiler. After
it has been successfully compiled the static library then
can be linked to build the remaining source code. I will
need your support if this is to be a successful endeavour.

Following please find the compile log for the static
library build of DRILL:

WITH MAKEFILE

Compiler: Default compiler
Executing  make...
make.exe -f "Makefile.in" all
process_begin: CreateProcess((null), CC@ @CFLAGS@ @LDFLAGS@
-o drill drill.o drill_util.o error.o root.o work.o
chasetrace.o dnssec.o @LIBS@, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
make.exe: *** [drill] Error 2 Execution terminated

WITHOUT MAKEFILE

Compiler: Default compiler
Building Makefile: "F:\New Folder (6)\Makefile.win"
Executing  make...
make.exe -f "F:\New Folder (6)\Makefile.win" all
ar r Project1.a work.o dnssec.o drill.o drill_util.o
error.o root.o chasetrace.o  ar: creating Project1.a ranlib
Project1.a Execution terminated

Do let me know your thoughts.

Thnx

Tom