[Dnssec-trigger] Issues with dnssec-trigger 0.11 on OSX Lion

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Fri Jun 29 15:08:55 UTC 2012

Hi Michael,

On 06/29/2012 03:49 PM, Michael Renner wrote:
> Hey,
>
> first - thanks for the work on dnssec-trigger so far, I used it for
> some days but removed it again because of these outstanding
> issues:

Thanks for testing our software and let's get to work on improving
these points.

> Adium online-detection code:
>
> Adium will only automatically connect to servers on system
> resume/boot if it thinks that it's online. dnssec-trigger
> interferes with this which means that I always have to connect
> manually.

How does Adium think its online?

Dnssec trigger only changes the dns resolver to point to 127.0.0.1 at
certain times.  It does not change network status.

Does Adium think it is online all the time (because of the local DNS
cache?) ?  Or Adium thinks it is offline all the time (but why)?

> No way to quit/disable:
>
> There's no way to disable dnssec-trigger at the moment - quitting
> the tray icon causes it to restart after a few seconds. Killing the
> process manually results in the same. I had to uninstall it to get
> non-dnssec-trigger DNS again.

The menu item 'Hotspot Signon' disables dnssec-trigger until you use
the menu item 'Reprobe'.  It causes dnssec-trigger to list the DNS you
got from DHCP as the DNS servers to use.

Why did you want to quit it?  Perhaps the stop feature is simply not
needed (except for some experts).

> Unconfirmed - seems to interfere with mDNS/avahi resolution:
>
> I noticed that I couldn't resolve local mDNS hostnames via their
> non-FQDN names anymore. If need be I can look deeper into this.

I have had other (OSX) users complain, about mDNS, but I do not
understand why it is affected.  Likely the script
/usr/libexec/dnssec-trigger-setdns.sh is doing something that affects
mDNS.  It is likely at the end of that script where it attempts to set
the DNS servers in use that it somehow inadvertently changes mdns
information?

> On the plus side - hotspot login worked as intended and I didn't
> notice any issues during normal daily use - thanks!

You mean the Do-You-Need-To-Login dialog that pops up?  Nice!

Best regards,
   Wouter