[Dnssec-trigger] dnssec trigger 0.11 release

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Jun 7 15:18:07 UTC 2012

Hi Jan-Piet,

On 06/07/2012 04:56 PM, Jan-Piet Mens wrote:
>> There is version 0.11 for dnssec-trigger:
>
> Just installed on OS/X 10.6.8, thank you.
>
> I note the following:
>
> 1. The status bar thingy (blue anchor) still showed version 0.10
> until I "Quit" it, whereupon it restarted and then showed the
> correct version number 0.11. Not a problem, just noting.

Yes, thanks, I have changed it to do this Quit for you automatically
after the installer is done.  I have added some commands for this,
but they quit and restart the panel, this can get confusing a people
see a dialog reappear twice.

> 2. I probably missed it in the changelog, but my existing
> dnssec-trigger.conf was overwritten.

Because the new default entries for the http probe have to be added.

> 3. In addition to the two DNS servers I obtain via DHCP, probe
> results here now show an additional entry http serv.nlnetlabs.nl
> (213.154.224.1) OK I'm surprised to see that, because 0.10 worked
> with with the two Unbound (!) server I have configured via DHCP.
> :)

So, ster.nlnetlabs.nl is a HTTP server, that serves a known, fixed
html page.  This is probed to see if web access is available.  If the
page comes back altered into "signon on with your credit card here",
then we go into hotspot signon mode.

> The changelog shows
>> o   url for ster.nlnetlabs.nl and fedoraproject.org added in
>> default config.
>
> but why is DNSSEC-Trigger using that in my environment, I wonder?

It is using these servers to see if it is connected to the internet.
Both serve fixed static pages that are known in advance by the
dnssec-trigger code.

You can configure your own servers, or remove the two existing
entries, if you want.

>> o   gui for hot spot sign on. opens web browser if user wants to
>> sign on.
>
> Cool: I'll be testing that next week when I get back to the
> dreadful hotel with its dreadful WiFi.

Yes this works via the above new configured entries.  And to add those
entries with a default value it has overwritten your config ... It
tries to preserve your config otherwise.

I am very interested if it works at that hotel :-)

On windows it now also preserves your config (when you update via the
popup dialog).

Best regards,
   Wouter