RPZ based on eDNS

Robert triangul.2010 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 17:52:03 UTC 2023

Hi

I have the possibility to enrich every DNS query made by the client
(customer with single IP) of my network, and redirect it to my Unbound
server if necessary.
Enrichment could be made selectively for those clients that would have
special service enabled or bought (like: child protection, security
service, and so on, let's call it for example rpz-1 rpz-2 rpz-3).
If Unboud could make a decision based on the eDNS, and add an extra RPZ tag
to the DNS request I would gain an option to run a few new services for
clients from the same subnet.

For example by using the eDNS tag number from the Unassigned range (
values: 26947-65000 acording to
https://www.iana.org/assignments/dns-parameters/dns-parameters.xhtml#dns-parameters-11
)

dig @localhost google.com +ednsopt=64000:72707a2d33

Unbound based on eDNS tag ID could make a decision like:

edns-control-tag: 64000 "rpz-3"

So every DNS request with eDNS tag-ID = 64000 should apply RPZ tag = rpz-3

Regards
Robert

czw., 8 cze 2023, 11:57 użytkownik Petr Menšík via Unbound-users <