root.hints and root.key

George (Yorgos) Thessalonikefs george at nlnetlabs.nl
Wed Jan 4 10:14:26 UTC 2023

Hi Gerben,

Best wishes for 20223 to you too!

If you don't specify a root hints file, Unbound will use the builtin
defaults. These are kept up-to-date with each version.

The root key file usually contains the DS/DNSKEY record of the root
trust anchor and is used for DNSSEC validation.
This file is best generated with the unbound-anchor utility.
If you use it with the 'auto-trust-anchor:' configuration option,
Unbound will perform RFC5011 behavior and keep that file up-to-date
automatically.

Best regards,
-- Yorgos