Problem with undead upstrems

Stefan Ubbink Stefan.Ubbink at sidn.nl
Mon Feb 27 12:37:29 UTC 2023

On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 11:24:11 +0100
Florian Streibelt via Unbound-users <unbound-users at lists.nlnetlabs.nl>
wrote:

> Hi all,

Hello Florian,

Did you have a look what https://dnsviz.net thinks of the domain?

> I assume there is no way to tell unbound to ignore failing DS queries
> for the "liveness check" or as an emergency workaround filter DS
> queries for a set of upstream servers?

You could try to add the domain with the domain-insecure option [1].

> Basically a combination of rpz matching the nameserver names and
> record type would to the trick, but that unfortunately is not defined
> in the rpz syntax and nothing similar seems to be implemented.
>
> Using knot and its LUA support I was able to implement a workaround,
> but ideally I don't want to manually keep lists of broken servers up
> to date.
>
> A feature or change in the way how unbound decides a server to be
> unresponsive would be a good solution in my opinion, e.g. when only
> DS is dropped move to the next server and skip this one only for DS
> in the future with a SERVFAIL or something, but as long as it respons
> with A/AAAA or others don't remove it from the working set...

This seems a bad idea, because it is a workaround for people who are
serving DNS with a broken setup.
I my opinion the domain should be broken when it is broken.

> Happy for any hints how to handle that case. Of course I am already
> trying to reach out to the operators of the upstream servers.

Without any information about the domain name itself, people can only
give general hints.

[1]
https://nlnetlabs.nl/documentation/unbound/unbound.conf/#domain-insecure

--