newbie question: Allowing recursion

Xavier Belanger nlnetlabs at belanger.fr
Tue Feb 21 12:08:12 UTC 2023

Hi,

David Newman via Unbound-users <unbound-users at lists.nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:

> (...) if anyone here has examples of how to run an authoritative
> and recursive server on the same box using unbound and NSD please
> let me know.

Not exactly what you're looking for, and probably not best practice,
but this should be close enough: I'm running both Unbound and BIND
on the same machine, the first one only on IPv4 and the second
one on IPv6.

Then Unbound is configured to use BIND in the IPv6 loopback
interface to get the data for the local zones:

# unbound.conf
interface: 127.0.0.1
interface: 192.168.1.50

stub-zone:
        name: "home.arpa"
        stub-addr: ::1 at 53
stub-zone:
        name: "168.192.in-addr.arpa"
        stub-addr: ::1 at 53

# named.conf
options {
        version "restricted";
        directory "/srv/named";
        recursion no;
        listen-on { none; };
        listen-on-v6 { any; };
};

I'm assuming that you could get something similar with NSD.

Sincerely,
--
Xavier Belanger