Issue between DnsDIST an Unbound 1.17 using PROXYv2

George (Yorgos) Thessalonikefs george at nlnetlabs.nl
Tue Oct 11 15:50:58 UTC 2022

Hi David,

I have tried with dnsdist 1.7.1 and I can't reproduce the issue. Haven't
tested with 1.7.2 so I can't comment on that.

A couple of things that may help:
- Unbound will still log 10.0.0.10 for log messages that have to do with
   network connectivity;
- Queries from dnsdist itself (i.e., health check queries) provide no
   proxy address information, so dnsdist (10.0.0.10) is the actual client
   for those queries;
- An easy way to see what is happening wrt client addresses is to enable
   'log-queries: yes' and 'log-replies: yes', and bring down
   'verbosity: 0';
- There is also an example program if you want to get dnsdist outside of
   the troubleshooting chain. You can 'make streamtcp' and then use
   something like './streamtcp -u -f 10.0.0.11 at 8053 -p 10.0.0.4
   nlnetlabs.nl A IN' from the Unbound machine to simulate your setup.

Hope that is useful for now.

As a last note, while looking around, I did identify a bug when reading
the PROXYv2 header on TCP connections when no addresses are provided.
dnsdist does that for health check queries. I don't think you were
hitting that bug though, since the bug results in error messages and no