Whitelisting domains filtered by RPZ

dns at todoo.biz dns at todoo.biz
Tue May 31 08:23:12 UTC 2022

> Le 30 mai 2022 à 12:38, dns--- via Unbound-users <unbound-users at lists.nlnetlabs.nl> a écrit :
>
> Hello Unbound fellow users,
>

> We are setting up a large scale filtering based on unbound + RPZ domain lists.
> We will have 68 lists sorted by themes allowing one to have powerful RPZ filtering.
>
> Some of our themes are containing more than 268Mo of FQDN…
>
> Among these FQDNs, are possibly some false positive, or some domains that our user base would like to filter out of these lists (in the first place).
>

> What would be the advised way to exclude / whitelist a domain from an RPZ filtering ?
>

> We have for exemple:
>

>> rpz:
>> 	name: "blog.rpz.domain"
>> 	zonefile: "blog.rpz.domain"
>> 	primary: 18.16.99.8
>> 	rpz-log: yes
>> 	rpz-log-name: "blog-rpz-domain"
>> 	tags: "blog_test"
>

> In the rpz list "twitter.com <http://twitter.com/>" is listed and filtered
>

> Would adding this statement allow "twitter.com <http://twitter.com/>" not to be filtered ?
>
>> local-zone: "*.twitter.com <http://twitter.com/>" always_transparent
>

> My goal is that the "always_transparent" statement has precedence on any other config statement (and more particularly on the rpz block).
>
> If you have other suggestion, please let me know.

Answering my own question here:

It looks like the most reliable solution would be to setup a whitelist RPZ zone where you would put your whitelisted domains.

This might look like this :

rpz:
	name: "whitelist.rpz.zone"
	zonefile: "whitelist.rpz.zone"
	rpz-log: yes
	rpz-log-name: "whitelist"
	tags: "whitelist"

and in the zone file simply use smthg like :

whitelist.rpz.zone.	86400	IN	SOA	localhost. root.local. 20220413 604800 86400 2419200 86400
whitelist.rpz.zone.	86400	IN	A	x.y.z.t
whitelist.rpz.zone.	86400	IN	NS	LOCALHOST.
twitter.com.whitelist.rpz.zone.	86400	IN	CNAME	rpz-passthru.
*.twitter.com.whitelist.rpz.zone.	86400	IN	CNAME	rpz-passthru.

If anyone can confirm this is the expected and best / right way to proceed, would be nice.

—