Would be unbound good candidate to replace systemd-resolved on desktop?

Tom Samplonius tom at samplonius.org
Fri May 27 04:46:16 UTC 2022

  Well, nothing is stopping anyone from using unbound as a DNS cache today.  It seems that the only issue is making it “default”, which requires hacking on the systemd-resolved subsystem.  I’m a big systemd supporter, but systemd should remain a service management layer, not try to re-implement some sort of per-service generic API for every possible service.  What is next?  A systemd-twitter subsystem to manage my twitter access in a generic way?  And then rewrite all applications to use d-bus to send API calls to the systemd-twitter subsystem, which then translates those calls to to Twitter’s API?  There is such a thing as too much abstraction.

  I also find NetworkManager totally unsuitable for servers, and I generally delete it.  Its use case is really for laptops, which I don’t care about.

  And I don’t care about split DNS either.  It isn’t a feature that I’d ever use, or recommend anyone else use.  If you have to do split DNS, the capability already exists.  No need to write a new abstraction to it.

Tom