Unsubscribe me from this list

Ron Varburg ronvarburg at yahoo.com
Mon May 16 05:33:22 UTC 2022

At the bottom of the page you can read:

 How do I get off this mailing list?
Am happy to be removed from it.
On Sat, May 14, 2022, 06:36 BangDroid via Unbound-users <unbound-users at lists.nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:

Kind of pulling my hair out with this one.. The domain twitterdatadash.com will not resolve with unbound recursively. I get SERVFAIL.

root.hints is up to date, local time on raspi is accurate. No other domains are failing.

Both dig sigfail.verteiltesysteme.net @127.0.0.1 -p 5335 and dig sigok.verteiltesysteme.net @127.0.0.1 -p 5335 are as expected.

Switching to an upstream DNS in Pi-hole will get the domain to successfully resolve, as well as using a standard DNS forward-zone in unbound.conf.d/pi-hole.conf:

    forward-zone:
    name: "."
    forward-addr: 8.8.8.8

However, if I use a DoT forward zone (because suspected possible? DNS hijacking by ISP):

    tls-cert-bundle: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
    forward-zone:
        name: "."
        forward-addr: 1.1.1.1 at 853#cloudflare-dns.com
        forward-addr: 1.0.0.1 at 853#cloudflare-dns.com
        forward-ssl-upstream: yes

Everything works exactly as expected, including https://1.1.1.1/help **except** twitterdatadash.com remains SERVFAIL.

Paste of dig outputs with various unbound configurations: https://pastebin.com/k1LtjzHB

pi-hole.conf: https://pastebin.com/szLmcNFj

unbound logs greped with "twitterdatadash" :

'default' pihole.conf : https://pastebin.com/JmgUDSRv

with DoT: https://pastebin.com/k3UgdZD4

Accessing that domain is not crucial by any means, I am only concerned it may be indicative of a bigger issue. It seems like there must be an issue with my configuration somewhere, but every test I run appear to indicate no issue. Is it possible the issue is not my end? Anyone have any ideas?