Prefetch Serve expired behavior per cache

ashok athukuri athukuriashok at gmail.com
Fri May 13 10:21:35 UTC 2022

Hello George,

Thanks for the quick response, Yes I am using libunbound version 1.12

Yes I am setting config for a separate context

but SERVE_EXPIRED_REPLY_TTL  is a global variable and the same is used
in different places example dns.c tomsg() function
I feel because of this global variable this part of the code is
creating problems for different cache conf.
I tested with multiple caches and its holding only 1 configuration (I
doubt it because of code services/cache/dns.c#594)

SERVE_EXPIRED_REPLY is assigned in build/util/config_file.c#2056
(config_apply)2056

SERVE_EXPIRED_REPLY_TTL = (time_t)config->serve_expired_reply_ttl;

below code tomsg() is depending on SERVE_EXPIRED_REPLY_TTL to make
this works these variables should be set in the context before
actually calling tomsg() function.

Else these values may remain un changed and apply for all caches.

As you can see in the below code services/cache/dns.c#594
589  	msg = gen_dns_msg(region, q, r->rrset_count);

590  	if(!msg) return NULL;

591  	msg->rep->flags = r->flags;

592  	msg->rep->qdcount = r->qdcount;

593  	msg->rep->ttl = is_expired

594  		?SERVE_EXPIRED_REPLY_TTL

595  		:r->ttl - now;

596  	if(r->prefetch_ttl > now)

597  		msg->rep->prefetch_ttl = r->prefetch_ttl - now;

598  	else

599  		msg->rep->prefetch_ttl = PREFETCH_TTL_CALC(msg->rep->ttl);

600  	msg->rep->serve_expired_ttl = msg->rep->ttl + SERVE_EXPIRED_TTL;

Thanks,

Ashok