Fwd:

Dimitris Chryssanthakopoulos ice at kassian.gr
Mon Jun 6 16:01:08 UTC 2022

BTW, sorry for posting without a subject, it was by accident...

Let me illustrate by an example, comparing what I get now and what I want
to get  (what NextDNS does with "CNAME flattening"):

normally, I query for "gravityzone.bitdefender.com" and I get a reply that:

 - "gravityzone.bitdefender.com" is a CNAME for "someserver.on.amazon.aws",
AND
 - "someserver.on.amazon.aws" has A record "212.216.124.1", AND
 - "someserver.on.amazon.aws" has A record "212.216.124.33"

what I need is to query for "gravityzone.bitdefender.com" and get a reply:

 - "gravityzone.bitdefender.com" has A record "212.216.124.1", AND
 - "gravityzone.bitdefender.com" has A record "212.216.124.33"

When querying NextDNS, with CNAME Flattening enabled in Settings (far right
tab of setup WebGUI) the second scenario occurs. The reason I ask here is
that I understand NextDNS use Unbound.

The DNS replies from Unbound will be used in my router to create dynamic
firewall rules. If I get regular DNS replies, I have to figure out the
CNAME chain myself with scripting on my router, which is too slow. (Often,
the CNAME chain is longer, and I need to recursively check a tree of CNAME
records and A records.)

If I get DNS replies like the second scenario, it is reasonably fast to run
a few statements for every entry in the router's DNS cache (for A records
only). In other words, I want to offload some processing from the router to
Unbound. Hope this clarifies.

Thank you.

With Best Regards,

Dimitris Chryssanthakopoulos

T Manager

As Agents Only

367, Syngrou Av. | 175 64 Athens | Greece

tel: +30 210 9402001 |   fax: +30 210 9402430

Website: www.kassian.gr