Does Unbound Load-Balance Stub-Zone?

Steven Wills steven at swills.me
Tue Jan 25 17:21:24 UTC 2022

Hello,

I have Unbound running with a stub -zone pointed at an NSD server. It all works beautifully. I have gone through the documentation and do not see an answer to this question. Does Unbound load balance between addresses in a stub-zone? Meaning, if I had two NSD servers, and I put both IPs into a stub-zone - would Unbound load-balance between the two? I assume it would just use whichever server responded first, correct?

I ask because - if Unbound does not load-balance, I plan to use NGINX to load balance like so -- Client > NGINX (LB) > Unbound Server > NGINX (LB) > NSD Server.

Thank you,
Steven Wills