View, inform and logging

Laurens Blankers laurens at blankersfamily.com
Fri Jan 7 10:12:09 UTC 2022

Hello all,

I am trying to log queries from a specific subnet, but not from anywhere
else, by using the following configuration:

---
server:
      access-control-view: 10.30.0.0/24 restricted

      name: restricted
      local-zone: "." inform
---

(in addition to my normal config)

Based on my reading of the documentation (specifically man 5
unbound.conf) I expect queries coming from 10.30.0.0/24 to resolve as if
using 'transparent' but in addition to be written to the log.

However I don't see any log lines. If I change the 'inform' to
'inform_deny' then I do see the queries appear in the log, but obviously
they are then denied. I also tried enabling 'log-local-actions' because
I saw in the code this follows a similar code path, but that also does
not result in log line.

Did I read the documentation wrong and is my config incorrect or did I
stumble across a bug?

I am using Debian 10 both with unbound 1.9.0-2+deb10u2 and
1.13.1-1~bpo10+1 (from backports). Unfortunately I am not in position to
test this on a vanilla (non-Debian) version 1.14, so if someone could
confirm this behaviour on 1.14, I would appreciate it, that way I can at
least exclude the possibility of a Debian specific issue.

Thanks,

Laurens