[NLnet Labs Maintainers] Unbound 1.15.0 released

Fredrik Pettai pettai at sunet.se
Thu Feb 10 17:52:51 UTC 2022

Hi Wouter,

It looks like with certain (dot?) configuration, 53/tcp becomes defunct on this version of unbound

Previous version worked:

pettai at bygg-server:~$ unbound -V
Version 1.14.0

Configure line: --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --includedir=${prefix}/include --mandir=${prefix}/share/man --infodir=${prefix}/share/info --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --disable-silent-rules --libdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --libexecdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --disable-maintainer-mode --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-rpath --with-pidfile=/run/unbound.pid --with-rootkey-file=/var/lib/unbound/root.key --with-libevent --with-libhiredis --with-libnghttp2 --with-pythonmodule --enable-cachedb --enable-subnet --enable-dnstap --enable-systemd --with-chroot-dir= --with-dnstap-socket-path=/run/dnstap.sock --libdir=/usr/lib
Linked libs: libevent 2.1.8-stable (it uses epoll), OpenSSL 1.1.1  11 Sep 2018
Linked modules: dns64 python cachedb subnetcache respip validator iterator

BSD licensed, see LICENSE in source package for details.
Report bugs to unbound-bugs at nlnetlabs.nl or https://github.com/NLnetLabs/unbound/issues

pettai at bygg-server:~$ host -T www.sunet.se localhost
Using domain server:
Name: localhost
Address: 127.0.0.1#53
Aliases:

www.sunet.se has address 37.156.192.50
www.sunet.se has address 37.156.192.51
www.sunet.se has IPv6 address 2001:6b0:60:c0::50
www.sunet.se has IPv6 address 2001:6b0:60:c0::51

Once upgraded to 1.15.0, it won’t work anymore:

pettai at bygg-server:~$ host -T www.sunet.se localhost
;; communications error to 127.0.0.1#53: connection reset

I noted this:

Feb 10 17:38:23 bygg-server unbound: [25885:0] error: ssl handshake failed crypto error:1408F10B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number
Feb 10 17:38:23 bygg-server unbound: [25885:0] notice: ssl handshake failed 127.0.0.1 port 58523

We had dot configured and working previously
After removing all of dot from the configuration, unbound started to answer on 53/tcp again.

     #tls-port: 853
     #tls-service-key: /etc/unbound/privkey.pem
     #tls-service-pem: /etc/unbound/fullchain.pem

Anyone else that had issus with this?

Re,
/P