NXDOMAIN on unbound with local stub TLD

Laura Smith n5d9xq3ti233xiyif2vp at protonmail.ch
Sun Feb 6 15:07:52 UTC 2022

I would appreciate a second pair of eyes on the below problem. I should say that I think I subsequently solved it by adding "stub-no-cache: yes" to the unbound config shown (early days, still monitoring it) but I would welcome any additional insight/opinion (and perhaps even suggestions as to if there are ways to improve the config).

Weird problem where I am getting an NXDOMAIN (per below) on my internal "bar.corp" domain.

My unbound config is as follows.  If I do the same dig query directly against the stub resolvers, it works with no issue.

I should add that this is/was a long-standing config that was working fine for a long time until it mysteriously did not.

server:
  interface: 127.0.0.1
  # extra interface: entries removed for list post
  #
  do-ip6: yes
  #
  access-control: 0.0.0.0/0 refuse
  access-control: ::0/0 refuse
  access-control: 127.0.0.0/8 allow
  access-control: ::1 allow
  access-control: 10.0.0.0/8  allow
  #
  hide-identity: yes
  hide-version: yes
  hide-version: yes
  auto-trust-anchor-file: "/var/unbound/db/root.key"
  prefetch: yes
  prefetch-key: yes
  rrset-roundrobin: yes
  minimal-responses: yes
  root-hints: "/var/unbound/db/named.root"
  domain-insecure: "bar.corp"
  local-zone: "bar.corp" nodefault
  local-zone: "use-application-dns.net" always_nxdomain
remote-control:
  control-enable: yes
  control-use-cert: no
  control-interface: /var/run/unbound.sock
stub-zone:
  name: "bar.corp"
  stub-addr: 10.0.0.50
  stub-addr: 10.0.1.50

; <<>> DiG 9.16.22-Debian <<>> foo.bar.corp
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;foo.bar.corp.            IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       3501    IN      SOA     a.root-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 2022020600 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 4 msec
;; SERVER: <MY_UNBOUND_RESOLVER_IP>
;; WHEN: Sun Feb 06 12:21:04 GMT 2022
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 122