Adding root servers as local secondary zone to local caching server

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Thu Sep 2 02:54:53 UTC 2021

It appears that Charles Sharp via Unbound-users <charles at cocosolutions.com> said:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>Thanks Chriztoffer!
>
>Sorry, got busy and just now coming back to this...
>
>So, one thing you didn't answer was - is this even a good idea?
>
>It sounds great in theory, but sometimes reality works out very differently.
>
>I'm specifically wondering about performance and resource usage.
>
>E.g., would Unbound need the entire zone to be fully loaded into RAM? If
>so, how much RAM would be needed?

It works great. The root zone is not very big. It's under 22,000
records including all of the DNSSEC signatures, master file is about 2
meg. Also, all modern computers have virtual memory so "fully loaded
into RAM" doesn't mean anything.

On my not very busy FreeBSD server with the root, arpa, in-addr.arpa,
and ip6.arpa zones all loaded into unbound, the virtual size is 43MB,
resident size 20MB. On computers with gigabytes of RAM, those numbers
are insignificant.