Domain does not validate

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu May 27 21:00:08 UTC 2021

Rainer Duffner via Unbound-users <unbound-users at lists.nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:

> I have a setup where unbound is behind BIND 9.11 (due to RPZ handling).
>
> In this setup, unbound cannot resolve one particular domain: nkb.ch due to DNSSEC failure.
>
> However, BIND does correctly resolve the domain.

Well, dnsviz agrees with unbound that the zone's DS RRset doesn't match
its DNSKEY RRset. https://dnsviz.net/d/nkb.ch/dnssec/

It looks like your BIND upstream is not configured to validate (i.e. its
configuration lacks `dnssec-validate auto;`) because your logs say that
the response to unbound's nkb.ch DS query did not have the "ad"
(authenticated data) bit set.

So I think both BIND and Unbound are correct, but their cnofigurations
disagree about what is correct.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot at dotat.at>  https://dotat.at/
Malin, South Hebrides: Southeasterly 3 to 5, becoming variable 2 to 4.