Trying to find out why my unbound will not resolve www.startpuntgeldzaken.nl

Gerben Wierda gerben.wierda at rna.nl
Thu May 6 09:59:38 UTC 2021

> On 6 May 2021, at 10:54, Jaap Akkerhuis <jaap at NLnetLabs.nl> wrote:
>
> Gerben Wierda via Unbound-users writes:
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> $ dig @9.9.9.9 www.startpuntgeldzaken.nl; dig @192.168.2.86 =
>
> Note the second dig. The address is a non-routable addres thus ...

No, that unbound is in fact running locally and can be reached fine.

>> <SNIP>
>>
>> ; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> @192.168.2.86 www.startpuntgeldzaken.nl
>> ; (1 server found)
>> ;; global options: +cmd
>> ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>
> ...this server cannot be reached. Use a reachable server and try again.
>
> 	jaap
>
> PS. It seems that Joe Abley insticnt was right.

No and yes. It was not a matter of routing and NAT/FW/etc. It was do-tcp set to no and upstream requirig TCP to deliver an answer. Unbound then tries to do TCP even if do-tcp is set to no and that times out. So, yes it has to do with TCP, but no it is not something that happens outside of unbound as Joe suggested.

As soon as I set do-tcp to yes, everything worked fine.