Mirroring data flows

Russell Sutherland russell.sutherland at utoronto.ca
Tue Jun 22 18:10:37 UTC 2021

I want to be able to mirror the UDP  port 53 going to my unbound instance for the purposes of testing out a new external DNS firewall service which we want eventually to start forwarding to. I want to be able to e.g. compare the responses with and without the service.

I don't see any unbound feature or module to do this.  Forwarding seems to go to one of the external caching servers given in the forward-addr: section.

Any ideas of tools which allow me to do this? I am running unbound under both Ubuntu 20.04 LTS as  well as OpenBSD 6.9

Thanks in advance.

---
Russell P. Sutherland            Email: russell.sutherland at utoronto.ca
Network Engineer, I+TS       Voice: +1.416.978.0470
4 Bancroft Ave., Rm. 102      Cell: +1.416.803.0080
University of Toronto
Toronto, ON  M5S 1C1