Unbound DNS over HTTPS Trouble

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Thu Jun 17 18:47:21 UTC 2021

 "A. Schulze via Unbound-users" writes:

 > Am 17.06.21 um 20:02 schrieb Aaron D. Gifford:
 >
 > >> Andreas
 > > Hmmm, I'm using the FreeBSD prebuilt package from their port system.  Let me see if I can find what libnghttp2 version it was built with. Ah, libnghttp2-1.43.0 is the FreeBSD prebuilt package it installed as a dependency.
 >
 > ok, then maybe the developers @nlnetlabs may help ...

According to the RFC, https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8484#section-5.2

	5.2.  HTTP/2

	   HTTP/2 [RFC7540] is the minimum RECOMMENDED version of HTTP for use
	   with DoH.

	   The messages in classic UDP-based DNS [RFC1035] are inherently
	   unordered and have low overhead.  A competitive HTTP transport needs
	   to support reordering, parallelism, priority, and header compression
	   to achieve similar performance.  Those features were introduced to
	   HTTP in HTTP/2 [RFC7540].  Earlier versions of HTTP are capable of
	   conveying the semantic requirements of DoH but may result in very
	   poor performance.

No point into not following this recommendation.

	jaap