DNS query type „Type65“ in monitoring found

Carsten Strotmann carsten at strotmann.de
Sat Sep 26 19:33:28 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 26 Sep 2020, at 19:57, Jaap Akkerhuis via Unbound-users wrote:

>  Mike Brust via Unbound-users writes:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I am running an unbound instance v1.11.0
>>
>> Since two weeks my munin reporting are showing next to the usual A,
>> SOA, =
>> AAA now also Type65 as a query type.
>
> HTTPS binding
>
>> I cannot find anything about this unusual entry, see attachment.
>
> See
> <https://www.iana.org/assignments/dns-parameters/dns-parameters.xhtml>
> for details.

and the reason for the sudden appearance of "HTTPS" Resource-Records in
the logs are the new Apple operating systems (iOS/iPadOS and later macOS
11) that implement a variant of DNS-over-HTTPS (Oblivious DoH)
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pauly-dprive-adaptive-dns-privacy>
using these new records.

Greetings

Carsten