Number of additional records in queries

Petr Špaček petr.spacek at nic.cz
Fri Oct 23 06:22:04 UTC 2020

On 22. 10. 20 19:46, Brown, Chris via Unbound-users wrote:
> I appreciate both the replies.  I thank you and generally agree.  My question is more practical, though.  And there will be no judgement of the answer (at least by me).
>
> The state of things as I see it now in regards to the referenced additional section record check are:
>
> - A strict reading of the RFCs does not generally prohibit records of any type or quantity in the additional section of queries.
> - A strict reading of the RFCs requires a FORMERR response if two or more OPT records exist in the additional section.
> - Google and other public DNS services generally answer queries with various records in the additional section.
>
> - Unbound will attempt to process all queries with a single record in the additional section.  This record can have any type, including OPT.
> - Unbound will send a FORMERR response for any query that has more than one record in the additional section regardless of the type of any of the records.
>
> Is this the desired behavior in the stock Unbound recursive DNS server?

I would say yes, it is very much desired.

Rationale:
If any future protocol extension makes use of new RR type in additional section and these are silently ignored then we have no way of detecting if the new extension is supported or not.

In other words FORMERR is the only future-proof thing to do.

Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC