Windows location for DNS root key?

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Tue May 12 00:28:45 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 8:35 AM Rick van Rein via Unbound-users
<unbound-users at lists.nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:

> We are porting a Linux application to Windows, and this uses Unbound for
> DNSSEC security.  On Linux, we have a well-defined location for the root
> key, namely /etc/unbound/root.key, but on Windows we are less lucky.
> What should we use, what do others do; is there a common place, possibly
> relative to the library, and will it upgrade automatically?

On Windows, the root key should probably go in the special folder
Common Application Data. A C/C++ program would use SHGetFolderPath
(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/shlobj_core/nf-shlobj_core-shgetfolderpatha).
A C# program would use CommonApplicationData
(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.environment.specialfolder?view=netcore-3.1).

Also see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22455840/what-can-i-use-as-an-equivalent-for-environment-specialfolder-commonapplicationd.