DoT resolvers - Slow results

Benno Overeinder benno at NLnetLabs.nl
Sat Mar 21 11:55:10 UTC 2020

Forgot to mention in the previous email:

On 21/03/2020 12:45, Benno Overeinder via Unbound-users wrote:
> I'm not sure if the following explains the difference between Unbound
> and kdig (with +tls option?) performance.  However, with the latest
> release, Unbound has implemented TCP connection resuse/TLS session
> resumption for downstream (Unbound clients), but not yet for upstream
> connections (to authoritative name servers or as a forwarder to Quad9,
> Google Public DNS, Cloudflare DNS, etc.).
>
> This is something we expect to be supported in an Unbound release in the
> coming months.

You might want to test DNS-over-TLS performance with getdns Stubby.  The
Stubby stub resolver does support TCP connection reuse/TLS session
resumption to upstream connections.

For downloading and installing Stubby, see
https://github.com/getdnsapi/stubby and https://getdnsapi.net.

Cheers,

-- Benno

--