security settings

Modster, Anthony Anthony.Modster at Teledyne.com
Fri Jul 31 21:16:41 UTC 2020

Hello Paul

Experimenting using "unbound daemon" as a recursive DNS server.

I created a test-gethostbyname app that resolves www.msn.com.
The resolve was successful and looking at the log file (wqar-unbound.log) DNSSEC was used.

Am I missing something ?

Method 3c, unbound daemon lesioning for local DNS quires
Note:
	same setup as: Method 3a, Authentication Servers (how unbound try's to contact)
	except resolv.conf is set to "nameserver 127.0.0.1"
	use test app to send local DNS to "unbound daemon" using gethostbyname()
	/etc/hosts
		empty file
	/var/run/resolv.conf
		cat /var/run/resolv.conf
		nameserver 127.0.0.1
		this file is linked to /etc/resolv.conf (this is already done at boot)
	/var/lib/unbound/root.key
		cp /usr/local/etc/unbound/root.key /var/lib/unbound/
	/usr/local/etc/unbound/unbound.conf
		ip addr show ppp0
		outgoing-interface: x.x.x.x

update unbound.conf for outgoing-interface: x.x.x.x to point to ppp0
/usr/sbin/unbound -d -vvvvv -c /usr/local/etc/unbound/unbound.conf &
test-gethostbyname
Results
	note: takes a few attempts before returning data (may want to increase timeouts)
	test-gethostbyname
	main start.
	main h_name a-0003.a-msedge.net
	main h_aliases[0] www.msn.com
	main h_aliases[1] www-msn-com.a-0003.a-msedge.net
	main h_addrtype 2
	main h_length 4
	main h_addr_list[0] 204.79.197.203
	main finished.