Unbound randomly fails to resolve names

George Thessalonikefs george at nlnetlabs.nl
Wed Jul 22 16:29:56 UTC 2020

Hi Ray,

On 21/07/2020 13:26, RayG wrote:
> Hi George, Oliver, Andi,
>
> @George: Thanks for your reply.
>
> I have made the adjustment we will see how it goes.
>
> But as Oliver Psotta says at https://calomel.org/unbound_dns.html there are good reasons for having it enabled.
>
> Also on the page: https://www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm there is a "Spoofabity" test which also suggests having mixed case is good.
Having the option enabled is good as long as the other side supports it.
This is not the case for you, at least for now.

If you want to keep it enabled you can enrich your forwarders
configuration with other public DoT resolvers.
You can find more information at
https://dnsprivacy.org/wiki/display/DP/DNS+Privacy+Public+Resolvers#DNSPrivacyPublicResolvers-DNS-over-TLS(DoT).

> There are also the TCP Errors e.g.:
> 21/07/2020 11:15:01 C:\Program Files\Unbound\unbound.exe[16308:0] debug: tcp error for address 1.0.0.1 port 853
Nothing wrong here, seems like a tcp error to that IP and port. Unbound
couldn't make the connection (maybe network routing problems,
unavailability from the other side or the local system) and it should go
on to try the next available server.

> These are unexplained so far as are some of the other entries like:
> 21/07/2020 10:41:40 C:\Program Files\Unbound\unbound.exe[16308:0] debug: request E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. has exceeded the maximum number of glue fetches 65
> 21/07/2020 10:41:40 C:\Program Files\Unbound\unbound.exe[16308:0] debug: return error response SERVFAIL
> And
> 21/07/2020 10:41:40 C:\Program Files\Unbound\unbound.exe[16308:0] debug: request has exceeded the maximum  number of nxdomain nameserver lookups with 13
> 21/07/2020 10:41:40 C:\Program Files\Unbound\unbound.exe[16308:0] debug: return error response SERVFAIL
>
> All of which are still occurring, should they be happening?
Both of the above are because resolution has exceeded a set of limits
and the query is considered as hitting a dead end from unbound's point
of view (there seems to be no available servers that can provide an answer).
Unbound stops resolution and returns SERVFAIL to the client(s).

As you are forwarding to a limited set of resolvers (in contrast with
reaching the different authoritative nameservers during normal
resolution), those kind of limits could be reached easier/faster if
there are communication issues as the upstream is the same and sole
responsible server for all the delegation points.

> Also I have been able to look back at some of my backup images these were all running the same way as currently and the event log messages like:
>
> Level	Date and Time	Source	Event ID	Task Category
> Warning	16/07/2020 15:48:44	Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client	1014 (1014)	Name resolution for the name enews.synology.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.
>
> Are present.
>
> These started occurring after the release of V1.9.4. The event log on that backup image (which I am able to run as a virtual machine) did not contain any of the above errors.
> So V1.9.4 was OK
>
> Unfortunately between the above VM and the next one I can run there was V1.9.5 and the download file for that was dated at 19/11/2019
> V1.9.6. download date was 12/12/2019 I can say that the above type of errors started appearing just after V1.9.5 was downloaded. I normally install the new version on the same day that I download it. So something happened somewhere between V1.9.4 and V1.9.5 and has been the same ever since.
I believe the difference in behavior is only a coincidence for unbound.
1.9.5 was a CVE release that was solving a security vulnerability in the
ipsecmod module. It had nothing to do with upstream connections, tcp
connections, or DoT and if unbound is not compiled with the ipsecmod,
the code should be identical to the 1.9.4 version.

Best regards,
-- George