Unbound randomly fails to resolve names

George Thessalonikefs george at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Jul 20 14:08:44 UTC 2020

Hi Ray, Andi,

I see from Ray's log that use-caps-for-id: is enabled.
I also see that the forwarding resolvers used seem to have an issue with
0x20 replies (use-caps-for-id related).

For example:
When unbound asks for an.ExaMple.domAin.NeT and the record is not cached
in the forwarder, the answer will contain the correct case.
Afterwards, when the answer is cached, the wrong casing (always
lowercase) will be used, and until the TTL expires I assume. This
results in a mismatch between query and reply if use-caps-for-id is used.

Unbound's fallback may or may not help at that time. From your log I see
that the fallback does not help (returns SERVFAIL after some further
tries) and consecutive queries try without 0x20.

I will try to reach the people involved but for now turning off
use-caps-for-id should help.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
-- George