unbound and packet filter

Gerben Wierda gerben.wierda at rna.nl
Sun Jan 26 14:57:33 UTC 2020

Slightly OT. Apologies.

I have started tightening the packet filter screws on a server. This server runs an unbound resolver (two actually, one that does forwarding to quad9 and one that doesn’t do forwarding for rspamd).

In the pf logs, I notice the following logs about blocked packets:

9.9.9.9 64101 192.168.2.66 29989
9.9.9.9 53 192.168.2.66 40022

That is either unbound forwarding or the server itself asking the 9.9.9.9 resolver directly (which is possible as it is set as a fallback in case unbound has died).

If either unbound or another resolver (say mDNS) forwards to 9.9.9.9, how do I set the packet filter to accept this traffic?