Unbound on Debian 10 VM - Every query SERVFAIL

Toni Mueller support+unbound at oeko.net
Mon Feb 3 23:13:31 UTC 2020

Hi Mark!

thank you for this hint!

On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 10:53:59PM +0000, Mark Picone via Unbound-users wrote:
> If unbound works correctly after restarting the service, you may need to configure a systemd override.
> This was required to get the service to start correctly on boot on my Debian 10.2 host.
>
> root at host:~# grep After /lib/systemd/system/unbound.service
> After=network.target
>
> root at host:~# cat /etc/systemd/system/unbound.service.d/override.conf
> [Unit]
> After=systemd-networkd-wait-online.service

I've just checked on my laptop: It's also 10.2. I added your override,
did a systemctl daemon-reload, and commented the do-ipv6: no statement
from Unbound's configuration. Then I restarted unbound. And I got
"SERVFAIL" immediately, on everything. Conversely, explicitly disabling
IPv6 and restarting Unbound made resolution work again, immediately, and
on the same names where resolution failed before.

I think this is a problem with at least Debian's version of Unbound
(1.9.0).

Cheers,
Toni