Unbound on Debian 10 VM - Every query SERVFAIL

Toni Mueller support+unbound at oeko.net
Mon Feb 3 22:24:20 UTC 2020

Hi Brendan,

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 01:51:40PM +1030, Brendan Konings via unbound-users wrote:
> I have set up a Debian 10 container in Proxmox, for the purpose of running

I have Unbound on my laptop, also running Buster, and the same problem.

> fails. Any dig sent to @127.0.0.1 -p 5353 (Unbound) returns SERVFAIL.

I can confirm. I don't think it has anything to do with Proxmox.

Although the documentation says that Unbound will automatically figure
out whether to talk IPv4 or IPv6, or at least, that it does not prefer
IPv6, but only after saying

  do-ipv6: no

in the configuration and a server restart, things started to work.

To me, this looks like a bug. I would also like to note that, at least
these days, one can encounter both IPv4-only and IPv6-only networks, and
it's quite inconvenient to have to reconfigure the local unbound when
connecting your laptop to these kinds of networks.

HTH.

Cheers,
Toni